Monday, July 26, 2010

My 26th birthday spent on the Edge...

...Of a very intricate ecosystem. A fire ravaged many many acres in Pike National Forest about 5 years ago. New vegetation growth amidst a cemetery of tall tree carcasses. Patches of unscathed trees stand tall and confident. And alone. Divided yet so interconnected. The forest is eerie, mystical and so beautiful. So fragile yet so resilient and stout. We drive in on the windy mountain roads. Passing hillside after hillside of charred remains. My friend reminds me, "Nature is not always pretty but it is always beautiful."
We are trying to get to our campsite for the weekend, at the base of a renowned rock climbing spot, Turkey Rocks. The rocks look like turkey feathers in their stratified creation. The temperature has dropped from hot inner city Denver, pushing 100 degrees most of the past week. There is no concept of time. We slowly and intently look upon the mountains, reveling in their beauty and uniqueness. The road follows a babbling-brook-turn-rushing-river with fly fisherman and tube floaters. The North Platte River. It draws us in. We park at the one general store/lodge in Deckers, Co and go for a little swim.


We make the off road/4-wheel drive mountain climb to our campsite in my confident little Saturn! Nothing was stopping us.
Up, up high in the mountains. Vistas of outstretching wilderness below and dominating rocks above. No cell phone reception. And what a blessing that was. No contact. No distraction. And personally, no way of keeping time. Timelessness was a gift all weekend.
We found a perfect rock outcropping to set and watch the forest below and around. The sunset and lightening show that night were priceless. Reverent. Ominous. Wild raspberry bushes surrounded us. We ate the naturally sweetened, juicy berries with smiles and gracious laughs.




Up and about on Saturday, for a day of climbing in the crack of some Colorado crag! Bring it on. I was lucky enough to be in the company of experienced climbers who suited me up with taped hands and helpful tips. Bruised and scraped knees later, I did it. I jammed my fists in weird places to hoist myself up. I wedged my toes in the crevices of this elongated crack. It was one of the most challenging things I've ever done. Mentally and physically. I had full responsibility over my actions and non-actions. I had to rely on myself and my problem solving. I reached the top of my first climb nauseous and light headed. Adrenaline overload I diagnosed. The second climb was more confidently executed, with guidance from the person belaying me and lots of time. Reaching the bottom; mouth dry, muscles fatigued and mind spinning from what I just did, I felt a sense of peace and respect for myself. I got to know another layer of myself. I gained confidence.
Exhausted from our day of climbing, all I was desiring was to soak in the Platte River. We met up with the rest of our group and hit the water. We were floating and lounging in the river as Miles, a friend's dog watched vigilantly and protectively as he swam alongside us. Our campfires always incorporated music; complete with guitar and make-shift percussion instruments. Good conversations and great camp food were had by all.
As we leisurely packed up on Sunday, no one wanted to leave. We all lingered about drinking coffee, eating leftovers and laughing.

This has been for sure, one of the best birthdays yet. I spent my time with new friends as we together reveled in this novel place. If this weekend was any forecast to the year that lay ahead for me, I am thrilled. I look forward to gaining in years. Because with age comes wisdom and even more perspective. Clarity emerges. You become more familiar with yourself...and hopefully you like what you see. I am getting to know myself and I'm enjoying the journey.

7 comments:

bigbearmom said...

Love, love, love your writing! I can just see it all through your words. Makes me miss Colorado since we had the joy of being there in September.
Love you too, girly-girl, even though I don't say so very often.
Glad you had a fantastic birthday.

Jan said...

Wow! You are a wonderful writer. So glad you are enjoying the journey to becoming a strong and confident woman. We are so proud of you and love you lots! You were able to make a great memory...that really is what life is all about.

Team ed. said...

It almost felt like I was there with you :). Thanks for sharing, Becks. Glad you had fun!

Melinda said...

Oh, Becca - what a wonderful experience you had stretching everything in every direction. Your writing is so poetic - keep doing it, please. You described everything so well that I could all but see you there having the time of your 26-year-old life!! And, Happy Belated Birthday to you, too.

Me said...

You all are my faithful readers!!! I love you all, and thanks for the feedback!!!
Hugs and kissys!

-dgulian said...

Pretty words!:)

-dgulian said...
This comment has been removed by the author.